SCOPE OF WORK:
The City intends to obtain the services of a qualified consulting team to provide these services. Best industry and management practices may require additional services not explicitly enumerated or may suggest alternative approaches to meeting key project objectives. The City is open to receiving innovative approaches that produce the best project results. Such approaches should clearly identify team roles at each project phase and any additional services should be described, priced, and explained relative to project objectives. The submitted Proposal will identify the method for documenting or illustrating the deliverables for each tas. The Update will be considered successful if the following project deliverables are met:
1) Project Management and Coordination: The Consultant shall manage project and coordination activities, including coordination of sub-consultants and administrative tasks. Firms should be creative in proposing a team approach that demonstrates a thorough understanding of the City’s unique qualities and issues. Proposals should include a team with extensive comprehensive city planning and land use experience.
2) Project Initiation: Project initiation shall establish project management and communication protocols, lead kickoff meeting with City staff, attend tour of the City with City staff, refine scope of work and project schedule, and gather data, maps, and documents. Introductory meetings with advisory bodies may be required.
3) Public Engagement: The Consultant shall prepare and implement a program for public engagement upon project commencement to encourage comprehensive public participation throughout the process, identifying different outreach phases with goals, objectives, programming and a proposed budget.
4) Technical Studies: The Consultant shall identify any other required technical studies necessary to the completion of the Update in addition to the studies identified in Phase 1.
5) General Plan Update: The Consultant shall update the General Plan using language and graphics that are easily understood by non-technical stakeholders and reflect the City’s interest in exploring innovative means of structuring and delivering the Plan.
6) Environmental Impact Report: The Consultant shall prepare all required items for California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) compliance. Due to the comprehensive nature of the Plan, and Environmental Impact Report (EIR) will be required. In addition to informing decision-makers and the public or potential adverse environmental impacts, the analysis should also allow environmental considerations to influence the design of the Plan.
7) Hearings, Meetings, and Events: Proposals should reflect the time required to prepare for and attend at a minimum:
- 1 internal kick-off meeting with City staff
- Twice monthly checking/coordination meetings with City staff, with an appropriate mix of in-person meetings and conference calls
- 6 community meetings/events
- 1 CEQA Scoping meeting
- 4 Planning Commission workshops/meetings
- 4 City Council meetings
8) Zoning Code and Map Consistency Recommendations: The Consultant shall prepare recommendations for Zoning Code and Map amendments necessary to implement the Plan and ensure consistency with the Plan goals, policies and programs. The recommendations should be provided as a summary matrix of issues that require attention, a list of next steps, and potential zoning map amendments.
9) Other Recommendations (Optional): The Consultant shall propose additional recommendations consistent with their experience supporting other local government agencies.
RFP QUESTIONS AND RESPONSES
Questions regarding this RFP will be answered at the March 16, 2023, mandatory informational question/answer session. RSVPs for this meeting should be emailed to Erica Roess, Senior Planner, at or by phone at (949) 362-4067 by March 10, 2023.
PROPOSAL DUE DATE AND OPENING
If you wish to be considered for providing the services outlined above, please submit five (5) original bound copies of your Proposal and one (1) digital copy (PDF on USB flash drive) to the address below. Proposals must be received by 4:00 p.m. on April 7, 2023.
City of Laguna Niguel
Community Development Department
Erica Roess, Senior Planner
30111 Crown Valley Parkway
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677