- What's New
- Veterans Tribute and Resources
Veterans Tribute and Resources
he City of Laguna Niguel is proud to recognize the brave men and women of the Armed Forces. Every November, veterans from all branches of the military are honored on a special Veterans Day celebration hosted by the City of Laguna Niguel. The event is open to the public to pay tribute to the brave men and women who serve our country.
On November 11, 2017, the City recognized past and present Veterans at the annual Veterans Day Ceremony. The Program featured speakers Captain Robert Barnard Olds of the U.S. Navy and Army Air Force 1st Lieutenant David “Dave” K. Hayward, both Veterans with the Freedom Committee of Orange County - an organization of Veterans with the mission of bringing their living history into the classroom. Serving on active duty from 1953-1984, Captain Olds spoke on Maritime Aviation, Anti-submarine (Chasing Russian Subs), Arctic Flights, and replenishment at sea. Speaker 1st Lieutenant Hayward is also the author of “A Young Man in the Wild Blue Yonder: Thoughts of a B-25 pilot in WWII” and shared his adventures and challenges as a young man serving his country in WWII.
Watch the Veterans Day Ceremony video.
The City has a dedicated Laguna Niguel Military Support Committee webpage where community members can access information about upcoming military support meetings and fundraising events, as well as send donations.
City has a dedicated Laguna Niguel Military Support Committee webpage where community members can access information about upcoming military support meetings and fundraising events, as well as send donations.
- The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) program combines Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Veterans of the Korean War, their spouse or descendants may be eligible for a special medal from the Republic of Korea. Those who served in Korea from June 25, 1950 to July 27, 1953 or who participated in United Nations peacekeeping operations through the end of 1955 are eligible. Medals may be awarded posthumously. Applications are available through Congressman Rohrabacher's office, by calling (714) 960-6483 or emailing CA48.Mailbox@mail.house.gov.
- Veterans Housing and Homelessness Prevention Program (VHHPP) is a collaboration between three State agencies to provide $600 million in Proposition 41 general obligation bonds to fund affordable multifamily rental, supportive and transitional housing for veterans.
- CalVet Home Loans is a home loan program through the California Department of Veteran Affairs.
- CalVet Ren (Residential Enriched Neighborhood) Communities is a program where the Department of Veteran Affairs partners with affordable housing developers to create home ownership opportunities for low income veterans.
- The O.C. County Veterans Service Office actively pursue the rights of veterans and dependents of the United States Armed Forces to receive Department of Veterans Affairs benefits. They work collaboratively with nationally chartered veterans organizations, the Department of Veterans Affairs and others to assure that veterans and their dependents receive the entitlements they have earned for their military service.